Lawyer Daymon B. Ely
A track record of successful verdicts and settlements including several multi-million dollar cases.
A History of Success since 1989
Daymon has received multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements, including a $33 million jury verdict against a law firm, a $3 million jury verdict against the New Mexico State Highway Department, and several cases resulting in substantial punitive damages (damages designed to punish the wrongdoer).
Daymon has obtained numerous other substantial judgments and verdicts and has secured hundreds of meaningful financial settlements for his clients. Daymon has also won over twenty appellate cases, including cases which involved the statute of limitations in medical malpractice cases, expanded rights of discovery for plaintiffs, increased the opportunities for plaintiffs to collect insurance proceeds, and he has developed the law of legal malpractice.
Daymon Ely Legal Case History
Following are legal decisions in New Mexico in which Daymon Ely was the plaintiff’s attorney. Click on any case to read the legal document.
- LUCERO v. SUTTEN, 2015-NMCA-10 (discusses what events are relevant discussion of causation in a legal malpractice case)
- DAVIS v. CITIZEN’S BANK, A-1-CA-37473 (Court of Appeal, January 27. 2020) (interpreting Section 55-4-406 and the obligation of the bank towards its customer)
- QUINTANA v. ACOSTA, 2014-NMCA-15 (qualification of expert testimony in medical malpractice case)
- BODLEY v. GOLDMAN, 2016-NMCA-54 (proper distribution following wrongful death; legal wrongful conduct case)
- HARRIS v. SALE, No. A-1-CA-3471 (Court of Appeals, November 8, 2018) (upholding sanctions against lawyer in legal malpractice case for wrongful conduct)
- O’BRIEN v. BEHLES, 2020-NMCA-032 (substantial discussion of malicious abuse of process claim against lawyer and accountant)
- WALTER F. SMITH, III V. WILL DURDEN, DENISE DURDEN, No. 32,594 (N.M. 03/05/2012).
- SMITH V. DURDEN, 2010-NMCA-097 (N.M.App. 08/23/2010).
- DEMIR V. FARMERS TEXAS COUNTY MUTUAL INSURANCE CO., 140 P.3d 1111, 140 N.M. 162 (N.M.App. 06/28/2006).
- CELNIK V. CONGREGATION B’NAI ISRAEL, 131 P.3d 102, 139 N.M. 252 (N.M.App. 02/06/2006).
- MEIBOOM V. CARMODY, 134 N.M. 699, 82 P.3d 66, 2003 -NMCA- 145 (N.M.App. 10/22/2003).
- ANDREW V. SAYLOR, 134 N.M. 545, 80 P.3d 482, 2003 -NMCA- 132, 2003-NMCA-132 (N.M.App. 09/25/2003).
- TERCERO V. ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF NORWICH, CONNECTICUT, 48 P.3d 50, 2002 -NMSC- 018, 2002-NMSC-018 (N.M. 05/23/2002).
- MEIBOOM V. WATSON, No. 2000-NMSC-2000 (N.M. 01/12/2000).
- TERCERO V. ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF NORWICH, 127 N.M. 294, 980 P.2d 77, 1999-NMCA-052 (N.M.App. 02/09/1999).
- SUGG V. ALBUQUERQUE PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT, No. 1999-NMCA-111 (N.M.App. 06/23/1999).
- MEIBOOM V. WATSON, 125 N.M. 462, 963 P.2d 539 (N.M.App. 05/08/1998).
- ST. JOSEPH HOSPITAL, 122 N.M. 524, 928 P.2d 250 (N.M. 07/22/1996).
- WILLIAMS V. ASHBAUGH, 120 N.M. 731, 906 P.2d 263 (N.M.App. 07/24/1995).
- IN RE ADOPTION OF J. J. B., 119 N.M. 638, 894 P.2d 994, 34 N.M. St. B. Bull. 21 (N.M. 03/30/1995).
- ROBERTS V. SOUTHWEST COMMUNITY HEALTH SERVICES, 114 N.M. 248, 837 P.2d 442 (N.M. 07/14/1992).
- ROMERO V. STATE, 112 N.M. 291, 814 P.2d 1019 (N.M.App. 04/16/1991).
- CALIFORNIA FIRST BANK V. STATE, 111 N.M. 64, 801 P.2d 646 (N.M. 11/28/1990).
- ROMERO V. NEW MEXICO HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT DEPARTMENT, 107 N.M. 516, 760 P.2d 1282 (N.M. 09/08/1988).
- ASHBAUGH V. WILLIAMS, 106 N.M. 598, 747 P.2d 244 (N.M. 12/18/1987).
- SMITH V. ASHBY, 106 N.M. 358, 743 P.2d 114 (N.M. 09/28/1987).
- QUINTANA V. ACOSTA, 2014-NMCA-015
- SMITH V. DURDEN, 2012-NMSC-0101